Animal Welfare & Behavior Internship
This opportunity will expose participants to the animal care and behavior processes of shelter operations. Participation in this program will allow students to develop transferable, real-world skills in the areas of customer service, animal handling, animal behavior, animal health, behavior modification, and team work.
Interns attend an orientation and dog/cat handling training course. Interns are expected to work a regularly scheduled shift that includes, but not limited to:
- Daily care of animals including: kennel/cage cleaning, feeding, watering, dishes, laundry
- Canine and Feline enrichment
- Behavior evaluation and modification
- Assisting with behavior classes
- Reporting medical and behavioral observations
- Intake exams and assessments
Abilities and Experience
- At least 19 years of age.
- Basic animal handling skills.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to work effectively and independently without supervision as well as working well with others.
- Ability to speak, read and write the English language fluently.
- Understanding of customer service skills.
- Writing and computer skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and to try new things.
- Interns will be exposed to situations that can be emotionally and physically demanding
Length of Internship
Each internship is an unpaid position, minimum of 10 hours per week, to be scheduled during normal working hours, for 3 months. The exact schedule can be determined between the intern and the Program Director.
Apply for the Animal Welfare & Behavior Internship »