This opportunity will expose participants to the animal care and behavior processes of shelter operations. Participation in this program will allow students to develop transferable, real-world skills in the areas of animal handling, animal behavior and grooming techniques.
Interns attend an orientation and dog/cat handling training course. Interns are expected to work a regularly scheduled shift that includes, but not limited to:
- Bathing and grooming of animals
- Medicated baths for animals as prescribed by veterinarian for skin issues
- Cleaning grooming equipment
- Recognizing skin and coat types
- Preparing animals for adoption
Abilities and Experience
- At least 18 years of age.
- Basic animal handling skills.
- Ability to work effectively and independently without supervision as well as working well with others.
- Ability to speak, read and write the English language fluently.
- Understanding of customer service skills.
- Writing and computer skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and to try new things.
- Interns will be exposed to situations that can be emotionally and physically demanding
Length of Internship
Each internship is an unpaid position, minimum of 10 hours per week, to be scheduled during normal working hours, for 3 months. The exact schedule can be determined between the intern and the Animal Care Manager.
Apply for the Grooming Internship »