The Pet Avocation permit was designed to allow those who are responsible pet owners to have up to 5 dogs and up to 6 cats in Omaha and Waterloo and 5 dogs and 1 cat or up to 5 cats and 1 dog in Bellevue.
No one, however, may have more than 8 total animals in Omaha/ Waterloo or 6 total animals in Bellevue, unless they have a kennel, pre-existing cattery permit or commercial cattery permit.
If you would like to apply for a Pet Avocation permit, you must:
1. Submit an application online here, or in person or by e-mail here
2. Pay a one time inspection fee of $100 (due at time of application)
3. Schedule the inspection when contacted by the Animal Control Officer This could take as long as 4 weeks depending on demand.
4. Meet the requirements of the inspection and comply with all city ordinances relating to the animals (see standards below)
5. On the annual anniversary of your permit, it is your responsibility to pay the annual renewal fee of $50 **You will receive a notification postcard annually**
While you hold a Pet Avocation permit, should you be found guilty of any violation of Chapter 6, the permit will be revoked. Avocational premises shall be maintained with clean and safe conditions at all times. The Nebraska Humane Society has the right to inspect such premises and all the animals therein at reasonable hours to ascertain that the premises are kept in the aforementioned condition and meet prescribed standards.