We are committed to continuing our adoptions, but we want to keep everyone safe.
We are now accepting online applications only for animals at NHS. Animals will be shown by appointment only following submission and review of your application.
**The exception: Cats at PetSmart locations do not need an online appointment and are available at the stores during their business hours.
Dog/ Critter Adopters:
1. Check out our adopt pages for available dogs.
2. Click the photos to pull up a pet's profile to see if he or she might be a good match for your family. Note up to three that you would like to meet including their names and i-d numbers.
3. Fill out an application which is located at the bottom of each pet's profile. You can list up to three dogs that you'd like to meet at one time (each pet does not need a separate application filled out).
4. Submit your application--you should receive confirmation that it has been sent.
5. Realize we get many applications, so you will only be contacted by us if you are determined to be a match for the animal or animals you selected, and if they are still available. We will review applications in the order they are submitted.
6. All of the pets continue to be adoptable on a first-come, first-served basis, and shown by appointment only. Therefore we cannot guarantee that the animals you request to meet will still be available at the time we review your application.
We appreciate your willingness to open your home to a shelter pet! Please keep checking our website and submitting applications for potential pets should we be unable to make a match on your first try.
1. Check the adoption pages for available cats.
2. Click the photos to pull up a cat's profile to see if he or she might be a good match. Note up to two cats you'd like to meet.
3. Fill out an adoption application which is located at the bottom of each cat's profile. (*Note: Cats at PetSmart locations do not need an online appointment and are available at those stores during business hours.)
4. Submit your application.
5. Once your application is accepted you will be emailed a link to schedule an adoption appointment.
6. Once you schedule you will receive a confirmation email and a reminder email one day out.
7. PLEASE NOTE: scheduling an appointment does not hold a pet for you. Cats are adopted out on a first come- first served basis.
8. If the cat is adopted prior to your appointment, staff will work with you to find a cat that is a good match. We have cats coming in daily so check the site prior to your appointment to see if there are up to two cats you'd like to meet.
9. Everyone entering NHS must wear a mask.
10. Please limit your visit to two adults, and to limit crowds and avoid overlapping appointments we ask that you keep your meet-and-greets to 2 cats.
11. If cats are fee-waived, adopters in Omaha and Sarpy county will still need to pay applicable licensing fees.
* * *
So you want to add a family member? There is no better way than to adopt a shelter pet and give him or her a second chance. The Nebraska Humane Society is an open-entry shelter welcoming dogs, cats, small critters, horses and even barnyard buddies on a daily basis. While a majority of animals are housed at the main campus, some are too sensitive to be in our general adopt kennels, some are convalescing in foster homes and our horses are off-site at the Star Equine Rehabilitation Facility. You can browse available animals on our website. Currently we are not open for general animal visitation due to the directed health measures surrounding Covid-19. We hope to be able to reopen for in person visiting soon on our campus at 90th and Fort streets.
We also work to make the animals as comfortable as possible by bathing and grooming and offering needed medical treatments.
Please note that not all health issues are readily apparent. We appreciate your understanding that you are partnering with us to help fully rehabilitate and offer these deserving animals a second chance.
Pets posted online as residing in Foster Care are not housed at the shelter—but are in private homes. To inquire about, or make an appointment to meet pets in foster care, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the animals name and ID number in your inquiry.
These dogs are in quieter kennels in our behavior modification program because they don’t do well in the busy general adoption kennel environment. Diamond Dogs just need a little polish to shine!To inquire or make an appointment to meet these dogs, please start by filling out the Diamond Dog online survey. A representative will get back with you once the application is filled out. Please include the animals name and ID number in your inquiry.
Contact our horse program at 402-444-7800, ext. 2286, or send an email for more information or to set up an appointment.
Keep in mind that adoptions at these locations are with cash or check only.