Hey kids! If you are crazy about animals, Camp Kindness is the summer camp for you! Come experience five days of fun guaranteed to get your tail wagging. Each session will include hands-on experiences such as caring for our camp critters, interacting with animals, educational games, art, guest-speakers and learning new ways to show kindness.
Camp Kindness Sessions take place Monday through Friday, providing every camper the opportunity to interact with shelter animals. Junior camps (ages 6-9 years) are in the mornings, while Senior camps (ages 10-13 years) take place after lunch, with the exception of sessions 5-7. Camp fills up fast and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, so you'll want to be an early bird to catch this worm!
- Pick a session below and click on the desired session to complete the payment portion. Make sure you select the correct session! We cannot make changes once your registration is processed.
- Once you have submitted payment, you'll receive a confirmation email containing a link to fill out a detailed registration form. This form is required. If you registered more than one child, please fill the form out for each child! You can find the form here.
Please direct any questions or concerns to:
Summer Larkihn, Humane Education Coordinator, email@example.com; 402-905-3414
2024 Camp Kindness Schedule
- Week One (June 3-7): Dogs, Cats, & Critters: Learn all about the kinds of animals that we care for at NHS and how we can help them live a better life!
- Week Two (June 10-14): Into the Wild: Learn more about Nebraska’s wildlife and the role NHS plays in taking care of them!
- Week Three (June 17-21): Dogs With Jobs: Meet and learn about talented dogs that work in our Omaha community!
- Week Four (June 24-28): Friends on the Farm: Learn about some animal friends from outside of the city!
Note: Junior and Senior sessions switch time slots for the month of July!
- Week Five (July 8-12): Love the Earth: We share a home with the animals around us. Let’s learn how to take care of it and leave it better than how we found it!
- Week Six (July 15-19): Animal Superpowers: Some of our friends can do incredible things, learn about their talents, and put your own to the test!
- Week Seven (July 22-26): Day in the Life: Have you ever wondered what it’d be like to work at a shelter? Our wonderful team looks forward to showing you and providing hands-on opportunities to learn!
NO CAMP JULY 4TH WEEK
FAQs About Our Summer Camp
- Is my child a Junior or Senior Camper?
Junior sessions are for ages 6-9
Senior sessions are for ages 10-13
- How many campers are there in each session?
Camps are limited to 30 campers per session
- Who teaches the sessions?
We hire certified classroom teachers and student teachers.
- What if my child has a medical emergency during Camp Kindness?
Our camp teachers are all certified in CPR, First Aid, Epi-pens and AED. They will ensure safety of the children first, but also ensure the parent/guardian is contacted/informed of what is taking place.
- Can my child be signed up with a friend? Can we switch sessions?
- Please remember applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. We cannot hold any spots for potential campers. The best way to ensure both your child and the friend attend the same camp session is to register at the same time. We apologize that we cannot switch camp sessions once registration has been officially processed. A refund can be provided but you will be charged the $30 cancellation fee and then a new registration can be made to register for the same session.
- Please note: groupings during camp fluctuate and although youth may sign up for the same session, we cannot guarantee they will be in the same small group/table. They, however, participate in many activities as a large group together.
- Will the campers get to play with animals?
Each day of camp includes supervised animal interaction as curriculum allows.
- How early can I bring my child to camp?
Campers should be dropped off to the Center for Humane Education no earlier than 10 minutes prior to the camp start time. Campers must be accompanied by an adult to sign them into camp each day. Camp Staff are not responsible for children until they are signed in by the adult accompanying them. Campers must be picked up and signed out by an adult immediately after camp concludes each day. Late pick-ups will be charged a fee of $1.00 per minute after five minutes. We appreciate your cooperation.
- My child attended Camp Kindness last summer, will it be different this year?
Yes! The core curriculum remains the same, but new features, speakers and animals are also offered to keep camps fresh! We find that over one-third of our campers are "repeat campers" because they enjoy coming to camp every year!
More Helpful Information About Camp Kindness
- We cannot guarantee that your child will not be exposed to or come into contact with: nuts, soy, milk or wheat products. If your child suffers from a food allergy, please inform staff.
- If your child uses an EpiPen, he/she must be trained to administer.
- Please ensure your choice of dates, time and session is correct. We regret that we are unable to make any changes once your registration has been officially processed. Refunds will only be given if canceled two weeks prior to your child’s camp start date. All cancellations/refunds will be charged a $30.00 processing fee. Dismissal from camp due to inappropriate behavior is non-refundable.
- All campers should wear closed-toe shoes and bring a water bottle and a sweatshirt or light jacket as temperatures may fluctuate inside the facility.
- For safety reasons, parents and caregivers will need to sign campers in and out daily. Please drop off your child no earlier than 10 minutes prior to start time of camp. All campers must be picked up immediately after camp concludes each day. Late pick-ups may be charged a fee of $1.00 per minute after 5 minutes. Thank you for your cooperation.
Be a Camp Counselor!
We are also searching for camp counselors! Counselors must be ages 15 and up and need to be comfortable working with both kids and animals. Apply here!