Adoption Department Internship
This opportunity will expose participants to the adoptions process of shelter operations. Participation in this program will allow students to develop transferable, real-world skills in the areas of customer service, animal handling, animal behavior, and office skills.
Interns attend an orientation and dog/cat handling training course. Interns are expected to work a regularly scheduled shift that includes, but not limited to:
- Assisting clients during the adoption process.
- Coordinating the adoption follow-up program.
- Providing administrative support to the adoptions team.
- Assisting with promotion of animals available for adoption, utilizing unique and innovative concepts and approaches.
Abilities and Experience
- At least 19 years of age
- Basic animal handling skills
- Writing and computer skills
- Ability to work effectively and independently without supervision as well as working well with others
- Ability to speak, read and write the English language fluently.
- Understanding of customer service skills
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and to try new things
- Interns will be exposed to situations that can be emotionally and physically demanding
- Interns will be expected to act and dress professionally during contact with customers.
Length of Internship
Each internship is an unpaid position, minimum of 10 hours per week, to be scheduled during normal working hours, for 3 months. The exact schedule can be determined between the intern and the Program Director.
Download the Internship Application here »