Adoption Department Internship
We are not currently offering an Adoption Department Internship.
This opportunity will expose participants to the adoptions process of shelter operations. Participation in this program will allow students to develop transferable, real-world skills in the areas of customer service, animal health, animal care, animal handling, animal behavior, teamwork.
VP of Business Operations
Hours and Schedule
Each internship is an unpaid position working a minimum of 10 hours per week to be scheduled during normal business hours for three months. The exact schedule can be determined between the intern and the department managers. Individual experiences may be custom arranged based upon program requirements.
Learning Goals and Objectives
- Experience adoptions of animals including but not limited to dogs, cats, and a variety of critters.
- Understand the support system provided to animal owners and people wishing to rehome animals.
- Learn how to educate animal owners on humane animal care, training, and ownership in general.
- Understand how to utilize appropriate fear-free animal handling techniques.
- Develop interdepartmental relationships and learn how to work in conjunction with multiple departments to create a smooth business experience.
Interns attend an orientation and dog and cat handling training course. Interns are expected to work a regularly scheduled shift that includes, but not limited to:
- Assist customers during the adoption process.
- Provide support to prospective and recent adopters on how to care for animals and manage various animal behaviors.
- Observe and report animal medical and behavioral concerns. Provide administrative support to the adoptions team.
- Assist with planning, organizing, and execution of adoption events.
Abilities and Experience
- At least 19 years of age.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Basic animal handling skills.
- Ability to work effectively and independently without supervision as well as working well with others.
- Understanding of basic customer service skills.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and to try new things.
- Ability to be comfortable being exposed emotionally and physically demanding situations.
- Ability to be comfortable around unpleasant situations that can include dealing with blood and animal waste.
What we need from you
- A cover letter explaining credentials and career goals
- At least two references
- Your school's requirement for independent study (if applicable)
- Completed application
Download the internship application here
Please submit internship applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.