Surrendering a Pet
Giving up a Pet
Giving up a pet is a heart-wrenching decision, but sometimes there seems to be no other option for a pet owner. We understand that financial concerns, illness, moving to a home that won’t accept pets, and unwanted litters can put owners in a no-win situation. The Nebraska Humane Society accepts all pets surrendered by owners in our jurisdiction of Omaha and Sarpy County. We promise safe harbor and humane treatment as the pet is evaluated for entry into our adoption program. However, NHS also offers resources to help keep animals in loving homes, and we urge pet owners to consider other options before deciding to surrender their animal. You can read more about those alternative options here.
Before you surrender
The process of surrendering your pet
- NHS accepts all pets surrendered by owners in our jurisdiction of Omaha and Sarpy County.
- We promise safe harbor and humane treatment as the pet is evaluated for entry into our adoption program.
- Surrendering your pet is by appointment only. You will schedule a phone consultation with one of our customer service representatives to gather details about the pet you are surrendering and talk to you about resources that may be available, such as those listed above, that may help you keep your pet in your home if that is your preference. Upon completion of the phone call, if your decision is to surrender your pet, an appointment for you to do so will be scheduled.
- To get started, please set aside about 20 minutes to complete the surrender request form. Once you are finished, you will receive an email with further instructions and a link to schedule the phone consultation.
Dog Surrender Request Form Cat Surrender Request Form Critter Surrender Request Form
- The fee for surrendering is $30 per pet or pet litter to be paid at the time of surrender. This helps us mitigate some of the costs of taking care of thousands of pets and getting them ready for adoption.
- Si necesita ayuda para completar un formulario de solicitud de entrega en español, llame al 402-905-3462 ext 2262 para dejar un mensaje de voz. Un representante de servicio al cliente de habla hispana lo llamará para ayudarlo.
Surrendering a Pet to Animal Control
Animal control will pick up a pet for surrender in an emergency situation if the animal is sick, injured or aggressive. There is a $30 fee for this service. Contact dispatch at 402-444-7800, ext. 1.